kaluga park

kaluga park

Monday, June 20, 2011

Chilis and Dunkin Donuts never tasted so good

Josh and I are enjoying Vasa's naps each day, because it allows us to catch up on some sleep.  Yet, when he doesn't go down until after nine and up at 6:45, we don't like them so much!  We started the day early today and decided to head to Dunkin Donuts.  Vasa has seemed sensitive to fried/fatty things, so we got him a plain donut and let him have half.  I think he felt a little gipped, and fussed a good bit when we offered him kix instead of donut, actually turning his nose up to them.  He seemed ok once I offered him some yogurt in the room.

Josh had to head to the embassy today with our translator to finally file our papers with the embassy for Vasa's immigration/visa stuff.  Thank goodness it is finally in the works.  Vasa and I washed clothes (one of his favorite things to do--although he doesn't get why he isn't allowed to turn it on and off) and played with play doh.  I was afraid we would get a little stir crazy in the room, so I was thankful when it only took Josh about an hour.  We head tomorrow to the embassy for something they call an interview--heard it's more of a lecture about things we need to know and more paperwork stuff.  Josh will head back to the CSS office after that and Vasa and I will come back here to play in the room.  I've tried to save some things for our time, so bubbles and paint with water activities will come out while Josh is gone.

Right before lunch, Vasa came in the kitchen asking for a cookie.  I still don't know a whole lot of Russian, so Josh got it, but I didn't.  I probably could had nipped it in the bud with some cheerios, but instead he got mad, went and laid on the floor, rocked a little back and forth, and gave me dirty looks.  That was the start of a rocky afternoon for us.  I picked him up and tried to calm him down, then Josh told me the cookie thing.  By that point, no cheerios or milk cheered him up.  Finally, the food was ready, and all was right with the world for a little while.  I decided to let him look at some pictures after lunch.  Josh and I were trying to think of the right time to let him see some pictures of him with his friends and his caregivers.  I have been reading several books, and some talk about the importance of letting kids grieve and look back at pictures.  One of the saddest parts of it all was that we have been skyping with the girls and our families.  He now thinks the girls are cartoons instead of his sisters--but back to the pictures.  When he saw them on the screen, he tried to talk to his friends and caregivers, thinking they could hear them like skype.

He had a fussy start to his nap--sad, and not happy (sure it was the pictures and realizing we're it ).  He woke up after 2 hours or so still mad at the world.  I would hold him and walk.  If I put him down, he would start pulling at his hair, pushing things down, getting in the corners.  Feel very sad for him.  Trying to distract him, we decided to make the hike to the kremlin again to go to the museum.  We were hoping we could make it there before the rain hit (it looked like it may rain).  Well, before we got 100 yards down the sidewalk,  a large thunderstorm hit.  We spent about 15 minutes or so under the street with 20 other russians (they have a lot of walkways under the streets because of busy roads). One good thing, though, is I think it took his mind off of his baby home losses for a while and probably now had it on the massive thunderstorm that his parents were stupid enough to take him out in.  The rain slacked off and we found a very large grocery store (russian standards--probably 1/4 size of our beloved Publix).  Vasa was very sweet and was good the whole time.  We came back and I called my kids.

This day made me so homesick that I had to hold back the tears while I was on the phone with them--only to cry when I talked to my mom and dad--can never seem to not cry on the phone with them when I am upset.  We are so ready to be home.  A full week is too much to be away from your kids.  We miss little things, too- ice in our drinks.  We miss free refills.  We miss people opening the door and smiling at you as you walk by.  Readable appliances and signs.

We went to chilis for dinner--the waiters there have been very kind.  They have talked with Vasa and tried to play with him a little.  They asked him, though, how old he was tonight--he had no idea--something among many things we need to work on with him.   They do want to be very accommodating.  They made sure I knew where the bathrooms were and checked to see if we wanted Vasa's milk warmed.  They did have diet coke and put ice in our glass.  My nachos tastes like some you would get back home.  That helps.

Vasa seems to be connecting with Josh--I'm a tad bit jealous, b/c he will willingly give Josh and his bear kisses.  I don't get them yet.  He also will ask Josh to pick him up--I don't get that yet.  I wonder a little--maybe just to make myself feel better--if it is b/c he's a man and I'm just like every other care giver he has had for the past 2 years.  I'm hoping it changes soon.    I continue to work hard on making eye contact with him and working on all the attachment tips.

I'm nursing my precious diet drink with the ice we did make out of bottled water with the small ice tray in our room.  Josh and I had to look hard for a diet coke or diet pepsi at the store--found a few.  I told Josh I thought it was funny that Russia may be the only place in the world that you have several rows of 2 liter beer in plastic bottles but can't seem to find soft drinks--small section of a row on the very bottom (pepsi only 2 liter).   We've already gone through all of the tea bags we brought, but the ice would melt so quickly that it almost didn't seem worth the effort :).

I'm done complaining--only two more full days in Moscow.  We'll survive.  Vasa will be happy about a car ride tomorrow.  He has to tell the doorman each time we walk in that we've seen lots of cars outside--at least I think that is what he is telling him.  Much love to my family.   One thing I have to add-funny seeing Vasa's face when he has watched Josh do manly things--shaving and peeing standing up and stuff.  It has been like Vasa is watching a freak show--he can't look away.  Sweet thing smiled one minute and whimpered the next while he was shaving.  All these new things...  

No comments:

Post a Comment