kaluga park

kaluga park

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

We did it!

I'm really lost for words!  There is the sweetest 3 1/2 year old boy in PJs my Momma bought holding a bear my mother in law bought asleep!  I can't promise you I didn't look into the eyes of my Jesus while we put him to sleep tonight!  I don't know how or why Claire and I would be chosen to have such a little boy come into our family but I couldn't be more in love!

I can't wait to tell each of you our story of today.  After a bit of rest we made our way to pick up two cakes, I don't know, and then went to the Baby home.  We met with the director who had us sign a letter stating we knew his medical background and were ok with it and then her book which identified the specifics of our picking up Vasa.

We got to walk down the hall to get our son.  When we came into the room the children were just waking up from their nap.  I saw a couple children still laying in their beds.  One sweet girl, who is one of Vasa's good friend - Tonya - even had on a night gown I think DD has!  Vasa was going potty and the care givers were wetting and brushing his hair as he walked out.  He had on underwear and sandals! He couldn't have been cuter!  He will probably be encouraged to wear very similar outfits every time he is with Buddy - if he choses b/c he will always get to wear whatever when he's with her - it could just a easily be rain boots and overalls.  Anyway, the care givers were clapping for Vasa, the kids behind him were excited and Claire and I got to dress our son in the waiting area.  He seemed a bit overwhelmed by the whole process and to be honest we might have looked the same.  It was really a sweet time.  The director let him say goodbyes to his friends one by one and in groups.  Vasa got to hug his care givers and he started to cry.  The care givers were sweet to quickly tell him not to worry because his Momma and Papa were here for him.  Vasa tried to be brave!

I can't imagine having waited all this time to be woken from a nap, stuck on the potty and told "Hey, your new parents are waiting in the lobby!"  This boy is incredible!  Once we got downstairs, Vladimir saved the day as he had a "macheena" waiting to take us away.  We went to the passport office, where one of Nadia's (our translator) former students was waiting to help us.  Claire took Vasa outside and I went in to sign his document request.  We are set to pick up the passport tomorrow and then we head to Moscow!  (I told you I'm asking the Lord to get us home quickly!)

We scrambled a bit because we didn't have a place to stay in Moscow tomorrow night.  We are all set now.  We then came back to our room and had the cleaning staff bring sheets for Vasa's bed.  After a bit of snack we put Vasa in the tub.  We were worried that he might not enjoy the water as we have read such things before.  He must know that Uncle JD and I sit and watch our crazy 5 play in the river all Summer because he started pulling off his shirt when we entered the bathroom.  He sat on the potty and went prior to getting in the tub.  Then he tried to soak Claire and I while laughing and playing with his duck and boat.  He didn't mind us bathing him or washing his hair.  I think my 3 1/2 year old was easier to bath on day one than my second child is even at 7!  Claire is commenting about my potty statement but this was meant as a praise for my sweet boy who is potty trained!

After bath time we went for a walk.  We headed down to the main street and walked down the middle of the divided road where there is a long walkway with benches.  It is capped on either end by large parks.  The picture at the top of our blog is from the park (in the snow) at the other end of main street.  In the park there were lots of people, balloons, games, and pigeons.  Vasa and I ran at the birds trying to make them fly.  We walked around the park a time or two then headed back up the street.  We went to dinner at a restaurant we ate in last week.  It seemed really kid friendly as it had a kids table with toys and was playing cartoons on a big screen.  Well, the put us in the super nice quiet section of the place (not sure why) but Vasa was a champ.  We fed him a few snacks as we waited and he drank milk from a sippy cup.  We ordered a risotto dish for us all to split and a bowl of chicken noodle soup for Vas.  Claire and I had the two pizzas for lunch remember...so  we weren't all that hungry.  We also have leftovers in the fridge next to sleeping Vasa.  He'll probably smell it at some point!

We ate all the food and came back to our room.  We changed into PJs, made the bed and brushed his teeth.  Then we read books and sang songs.  This is the same routine we have had for almost 9 years at home and it seems as natural as breathing.  Vasa was so excited that it took a couple hours to get him to sleep.  Not bad really!  We were surprised at how well he rested.  I couldn't keep myself together as we held him on the bed and sang to him.  Vasa kept looking at Claire and then at me.  He would smile at us and close his eyes.  I think for a while he fought going to sleep somehow afraid we might go away if he closed his eyes!  Mama y Papa y Vasa...Mama y Papa y Vasa!  I kept telling him this as he would close his eyes.  I want my son to know, as my girls do, that we are here to stay!

All in all I don't know how today could have gone any better.  You know what?  My Heavenly Father has been doing this same type of thing since we started and Claire and I have come to believe in His faithfulness!  I was certain today would have been just as wonderful.  Only three things could have made it any better!  I wish my princesses could be here with me to help greet him.  Although, Vasa might need a bit of time to prepare for the "love sandwich" that awaits him when we get home!  These girls don't know how to not love!  They are the perfect sisters for this little boy.

I saw a scripture in the front cover of a Russian language book we brought to help with phrases and such.  It's a Psalm and its says "The Lord will bring the lonely a family."  He has brought my sweet (lonely no more) Vasa to us!  We are not home yet but we are getting there as soon as we can!  Love to you all!  Josh, Claire and Vasa

4 comments:

  1. You keep making me cry! So thankful everything went perfect! Love y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy for your family. Safe travels and I can't wait to meet him.

    ReplyDelete